Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cold Out There, Warm in Here





Such snow today! Such wind! The snow came down horizontally, leaving paved sidewalks unpaved and plowed streets unplowed. It all nearly pushed me off the road, down a steep hill. My stomach churned, my pulse rushed. It can be like that out there.

Later, the young people were playing football in the snow outside my window. Such a lot of shouting! Such a lot of fun! But they finally had to take their chilled fatigue inside where it was warm.

It’s comfy in here. It can be exciting out there, but also cold and tiring. So I need this place to be warmed in what is nourishing and trustworthy. My comfy place is where I abide in the Lord as he abides in me.

“O Lord, my heart is not lifted up. My eyes are not raised too high. I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. For I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother. My soul is like a weaned child that is with me…” Psalm 131

What was cold and fatiguing for you today? Have you had at least a little chance to be the quiet child with its mother? Have you and the Lord abided in one another today?

No comments: